Jesus Calls His First Disciples by Jennifer Tolbert
This is the story of how Jesus began his ministry on Earth. He began by calling his first disciples, or friends, that he would teach about God's kingdom.
1. We should choose good friends.
2. Jesus's chose friends who were humble; He did not go to the kings or rulers.
3. Jesus began his plan by teaching people about God's kingdom.
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:7-8
Books of the New Testament
Jesus Called Them One By One (Apostle Song)
Fished All Night and Caught No Fish
Fishers of Men
If You Love Jesus
My God is So Big
This Little Light of Mine
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Fishing Game: Let kids fish for questions about choosing a good friend. It can be scenarios or yes/no questions about the qualities of a good friend. The fruits of the spirit are good examples of the attributes of a good friend. You can let them pull fish shapes out of a net or set up a fishing game.
2. Fishermen Game: Two kids are designated "Fishers of Men." They must catch all their friends. They can tag them or you can give them a sheet as a "net." As they catch their classmates, they have to put them in a designated area known as the boat. If the game is being played inside, make a rule where no one is allowed to run, they have to slide or "swim" by not picking up their feet. SAY: Today, we are talking about how Jesus became friends with 4 fishermen and he said they would not catch fish anymore, but they would catch men.
Story: After Jesus was baptized and he stood up against Satan's temptation, it was time to begin his special rescue plan. First, he wanted to build a team of people to help him with his mission. He would need friends he could teach all about God and his new kingdom. These people would be known as his disciples.
If you were going to begin a new kingdom, who would you choose to be on your team? Would you choose the smartest? The wealthiest? Maybe the ones with the most power?
That is not who Jesus went to at all. Let's learn who Jesus went to for his first friends.
READ Luke 5:1-11 in your Bible or tell the children about the Calling of the Four Fishermen. -
1. Where was Jesus teaching at the beginning of our story?
2. What job did the first disciples do?
3. Is the who the people would have expected the Messiah to call?
4. What were the names of the first disciples?
5. What did Jesus say their new job would be?
Connect the story back to God and his character. Explain how this story fits into God's overall story.