This is a story about what Jesus taught his followers about love during his Sermon on the Mount. This story is based on a summary of Matthew 5:13-44. When we love the way God wants us to love, we shine in a dark world.
1. God wants us to love our enemies.
2. God wants us to love the poor and needy.
3. When we love, we shine our light in a dark world.
"Do to others as you would have them do to you."
Books of the New Testament
This Little Light of Mine
Jesus Loves Me
The Greatest Commands
I Love You Lord
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Heart Smart-Ask the kids some basic questions about their heart such as where is your heart? What does it do? Is your heart important? Then say, "we use a heart to show love. Jesus wants us to love others. We want our heart to be healthy. We can have a healthy heart in the way we show love to others."
2. Pin the Heart on the Man-Put up a picture of a man. Give the kids hear cutouts or stickers. Blindfolded or with their eyes closed, see who can get their heart pinned in the right place.
Story: After Jesus was baptized and chose his disciples, he began his ministry. He began by helping people. He healed people who were sick. He set people who were possessed by demons free. He also started preaching to the people. He wanted them to know that all of God's promises were about to be fulfilled.
Jesus wanted everyone to know that God's kingdom, the kingdom of heaven was near and it was completely different than the kingdom of the world. One of the ways God's children are different is in the way that they love one another.
READ Matthew 5:13-6:4 or summarize the teaching about love and forgiveness from the Sermon on the Mount.
1. Where was Jesus teaching at the beginning of our story?
2. Why is this lesson called "The Sermon on the Mount?"
3. Who did Jesus say we should love?
4. What should we do if someone slaps us on the cheek? What does that mean?
5. Why does God want us to love others?
Connect the story back to God and his character. Explain how this story fits into God's overall story.
1. My Heart Blooms When I Show Love Worksheet
Supplies: Template, Scissors, Markers, Glue, Construction paper
Write in ways to show love (Older) or cut our the hearts and glue them in the middle of the flowers (younger). Then, cut out the entire pot and flowers and glue it to a piece of construction paper or cardstock (optional).
2. Jesus Loves You This Much Craft from Oriental Trading
3. Egg Carton Treasure Chest
Supplies: Egg Carton, paint, stickers, cards