The Wise and Foolish Builder by Jennifer Tolbert
This is a story about what Jesus taught his followers about not just listening to God, but also doing what he says, during his Sermon on the Mount. This story is based on a summary of Matthew 7:21-29. When we listen and obey God, we are wise and build our life on the rock-Jesus!
1. God wants us to be wise.
2. God wants us to not only listen to what God says, but also obey.
3. You can always count on God!
"Do to others as you would have them do to you."
Books of the New Testament
This Little Light of Mine
The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock
Be Careful Little Eyes What You See
Every Move I Make
I Used to Drive a Chevrolet
I'm Inright, Upright
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Sand and Rock: Bring sand and a rock to class and look at each with a magnifying glass. Let children blow on them. The sand will move around, but the rock will not. Apply pressure to each by placing various objects on them. Notice how the sand shifts, but the rock stands firm. (From Mission Bible Class.org)
2. Block or Cup Stacking Races-Put your kids in teams and see who can make the tallest tower in a certain amount of time. Discuss how important it was to start on a hard, flat surface.
3. Simon Says-Play a simple game of Simon Says. Ask: Can you win Simon Says by hearing the direction? (No.) Can you win by kind of doing what Simon says? (No.) We win Simon Says when we listen and DO exactly what Simon says. Today, we are going to talk about how important it is to not only listen to God, but also DO exactly what he says.
Story: After Jesus was baptized and chose his disciples, he began his ministry. He began by helping people. He healed people who were sick. He set people who were possessed by demons free. He also started preaching to the people. He wanted them to know that all of God's promises were about to be fulfilled.
Jesus wanted everyone to know that God's kingdom, the kingdom of heaven was near and it was completely different than the kingdom of the world. He wanted his followers to understand how important it was to follow God. He told them a parable, or a story with a special meaning, to help them understand.
READ Matthew 7: 21-29 or summarize the teaching about The Wise and Foolish Builders.
Two Houses Craft from Trueway Kids
Supplies: Template, Popsicle sticks, Glue, Colors
Wise House Bird House
Allow the kids to color and paint the bird house. Perhaps, let them add Matthew 7:24 to the roof. Then, glue small rocks around the base of the birdhouse.
Build Your House on the Rock Science Experiment
Consider performing this experiment for your class. Watch the video and read the directions for more information.
You will need:
1. Two Styrofoam houses
2. Scoop of sand
3. Piece of ceramic tile
4. Two glass cake pans
5. Two glass jars (one filled with water and
one filled with acetone / 18-20 oz. each)
6. Spray bottle with water (rain)
Supplies: Flat Rocks (or cut out "rocks" from grey or brown cardstock), Paint Pens or markers
Give each child 8 rocks. One each rocks write one word from a summary of Matthew 7:24 a: "Listen to God and do what he says." Mix them up and challenge them to put them back in order.