John Baptizes Jesus by Jennifer Tolbert
This is the story of when Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.
1. John the Baptist was a fulfillment of prophecy from the prophet Isaiah.
2. God called Jesus his Son and proclaimed He was pleased with Him.
3. We can be bold in sharing God's message just like John the Baptist.
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:7-8
New Testament Books
Hear O Israel
Trust in the Lord with All Your Heart
Lord My Desire
We Fall Down
You're the One
Stand Up and Shout It
Give Me a J
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
1. Follow the Leader: Play a short game of Follow the Leader. Everyone should walk about behind the leader and copy what they do such as jumping, waving their hands. Today we are talking about following our leader, Jesus and copying what he does.
2. Sharing Time: Share with the kids a time you made your mom and dad proud, especially a memory from your childhood. How did you feel? What did your parents say or do that made you know that they were proud of you. Let the kids tell about a time that they made their mom or dad proud. Say: Today, we are going to talk about a time when Jesus made God, his father, very proud.
3. Getting Baptized: (Better for older kids) Share about the time that you were baptized or let the children share about a time they saw someone get baptized. What was said? What did they believe? How did everyone act? If there is time or it's not too disruptive, go on a "field trip" to see behind the scene of the church's baptistry.
Story: The first thing Jesus did when he began his ministry was go to his cousin, John the Baptist to be baptized. Jesus went from Nazareth, all the way to the Jordan River (about 70 miles) to be baptized. Today's story is the story of how Jesus was baptized.
READ Matthew 3: 13-17 in your Bible or tell the children about Jesus being baptized by John the Baptist.
Jesus is Baptized by Saddleback Kids
1. What was the message John the Baptist preached?
2. What did Jesus ask John to do?
3. What did John say when Jesus asked him to baptize him?
4. What happened after Jesus was baptized?
Challenge the kids to come up with a God statement based on this lesson. For example, God is my best friend, God is my Father, God will protect me.
Dove Craft from Trueway Kids
Supplies: Template, Scissors, Copy Paper, Yellow or Orange Pencil, Yarn or String