Copy of David and Mephibosheth (Presentation (16:9)) by Jennifer Tolbert
This is the story of how David's son Solomon was crowned the next king of Israel. Solomon is known as the wisest man in the world. This wisdom was a gift given specifically by God.
1. Saul, David and Solomon were the three kings during the time we call the United Kingdom.
2. Solomon desired wisdom more than silver or gold. He recognized his need for wisdom to be a leader for God.
3. We can be wise by knowing, loving and obeying God.
Proverbs 3:5, 6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
Old Testament Books
Hear O Israel
Trust in the Lord with All Your Heart
Three Kings of Israel
Lord My Desire
We Fall Down
You're the One
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Gift Box: Have a box wrapped up like a gift. Have you ever had someone ask you what you wanted for Christmas or your birthday? What did you say? How did you make your decision? Today, we are going to learn about Solomon and God offered to give him a gift. He could choose anything he wanted. Let's find out what he asked God for.
2. Wise Choices: Give the children some scenarios. Offer a wise choice and unwise choice. Let them explain what makes the solution wise. Let them vote on the wise choice by waving a flag, raising their thumb or something fun.
Story: We have talked about King Saul and then King David. Today, we are going to learn about a new king named Solomon. He was King David's son. Just as David was known as being a man after God's own heart, King Solomon was known for his wisdom.
READ 1 Kings 3:3-28 in your Bible or tell the story of how Solomon was crowned king and ruled his people with wisdom.
Visual Aid Resources
Virtual Storybook-No Sound
Printable Story from Trueway Kids
Challenge the kids to come up with a God is statement based on this lesson. For example, God is my best friend, God is loyal, God will protect me...
Make a crown, such asthese from Oriental Trading.
Owl Themed Craft
Almost any owl-themed craft will do, but here is one of my favorites.
Knowledge vs. Wisdom Object Lesson
Supplies: sponges, squirt guns, bowl, towels
Explain to the kids that knowledge and wisdom are two very different things. Imagine that knowledge is the water that is in this water gun and you are the sponge. When you are in Bible class, at home, and at school you are being taught a lot of knowledge. If you feel like the kids can handle it, allow the kids to take turns answering the reviews questions and if they answer correctly, squirt into the sponge. Once the sponge is full, explain to the kids that knowledge is knowing the facts. Wisdom is knowing how to apply those facts to every day life situation.
Squeeze the sponge into a bowl. How we use that knowledge to make good decisions in our daily lives is wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that God tells us, "Honor Your Father and Mother," wisdom is honoring them even when we are tempted to disobey.
Squeeze out the sponge. We can fill our heads with knowledge of the Bible. Wisdom is what comes out when are pressured (or squeezed by Satan) to make wrong decisions but choose to follow God anyway,...
Use the sponge to clean something. And when we use that knowledge in service to others, it becomes wisdom.
Resources & References
Mission Bible Class
Solomon Asks for Wisdom-Saddleback Kids