The Prophets Foretell the Birth of Jesus by Jennifer Tolbert
This lesson is focused on how the prophets predicted very specific details about the birth of Jesus.
1. God always has a plan.
2. We can trust that Jesus is God's Son.
3. Inspired prophets foretold of God's foretold of God's coming Son, the Messiah, who would save mankind.
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:
23 “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall call his name Immanuel”
(which means, God with us).
New Testament Books
If You Love Jesus
Oh, How I Love Jesus
Standing on the Promises
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Remind the children about what a promise is. Remind them that Jesus is a promise from God.
2. Introduce the idea of probability to your students with some low-prep probability activities such as a coin flip or pulling a marble from a bag. Discuss the odds of the prophets accurately predicting what would happen hundreds of years later in perfect detail and one man making all of those things happen.
READ the story above or review who the prophets were and how they served God as his messengers.
1. Based on what you know about probability, do you think someone could pretend to be the Messiah?
2. How easy would it be to fulfill all of the prophecies on your own?
3. What does the word Messiah mean?
4. Why do you think God gave the Israelites the prophecies?
5. What does God want us to know about the prophets words?
Connect the story back to God and his character. Explain how this story fits into God's overall story.
Pin the Promise
Use these matching cards and game to play this version of pin the tale on the donkey.
Use these ideas to set up probability stations.
Provide each student with a “detective notebook” (simply blank pads of paper) and ask them to investigate the prophecies of Christ and jot down clues that led up to the birth of Jesus. As you go through the next few weeks, have them go back and put check marks next to the prophecies as they are fulfilled.