Click to set custom HTM Parable of the Mustard Seed by Jennifer TolbertL
Jesus came to earth to teach us how to live in a way to please God. Jesus used stories about everyday things and everyday life so that everyday people could understand. These are 3 stories Jesus told to teach the people about the kingdom of heaven.
1. God's kingdom grows!
2. God's kingdom is more precious than anything!
3. We help to grow God's kingdom when we tell others about Jesus.
34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet:
“I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”
New Testament Books
Banner Over Us Is Love
Big, Big House
Nobody Fills My Heart Like Jesus
I Want to Be Where You Are
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time.
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas:
1. Collect a few different types of seeds and seed packets and bring them to class. Compare the different types of seeds. Discuss the type of plant that will grow from each seed. Continue to point out that huge plants will grow from these very small seeds. You could also cut some fruit and look at the seeds inside (then eat the fruit, of course). Strawberries are a good example because the seeds are on the outside and they are very small compared to the fruit. Other interesting choices are bananas, cucumbers, passion fruit and more. You might also be able to show acorns that grow into huge trees. If there is a tree near the building where your class is, go and find some seeds. “Jesus once told a parable about a very small type of seed. Let’s listen to the story . . .” (from MissionBibleClass.org)
2. Leaf Rubbings
Bring some different leaves, bark, and show the kids how to make leaf rubbings using paper and crayons. TAlk about different kinds of trees and how they provide homes for animals. Talk about how big, big trees come from very small seeds. (inspired by Truewaykids.org)
Read Matthew :13:31-33, 44-45; Mark 4:30-32; Luke 13:18-21
1. What is a parable?
2. Why did Jesus teach the people using parables?
3. What did the seed represent in the parable?
4. What did Jesus want the people to know about the kingdom of God?
Connect the story back to God and his character. Explain how this story fits into God's overall story.
Seed Tree from Trueway Kids
Supplies: Template, Colors, Glue, Seeds
Supplies: Cardboard, Seeds, Beans and Glue