Parables About God's Love-The Lost Sheep by Jennifer Tolbert
Copy of Parables About God's Love-The Lost Coin by Jennifer Tolbert
Jesus used parables to teach the people about important things He wanted them to know about God and His kingdom. Some of the parables he told were about how God feels about the people who are lost and how much he loves them. Here are three parables that teach us about being lost and found. You can teach using just one of the parables, or if time allows, all three.
1. A parable is a story about an everyday example that teaches a spiritual truth.
2. Jesus taught us how to live to please God.
3. Jesus wants us to understand how much God loves us.
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
-I John 4:7
Books of the New Testament
This Little Light of Mine
I Just Want To Be a Sheep
Lord, My Desire
Lord, Reign in Me
Nobody Fills My Heart Like Jesus
Jesus Loves Me
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Lost Coins: Hide 10 coins (or fake coins/chocolate coins) around the classroom. Ask the kids to help you find the coins. For younger kids, ask them to help you count the coins to practice counting to 10. Explain to the kids why finding the coins were so important to you!
2. ASK: Have you ever lost something very important to you or your family? How did it feel while it was lost? How hard did you look for it? Did you ever find it? If so, how did you feel when you found it?
3. Coin Rubbing: Have crayons, blank pieces of paper and some coins. It is even more interesting if you have unusual coins such as silver dollars, or coins from other countries. Discuss the idea of money and why it is/was important. What would losing it mean for someone?
Story: Jesus wanted his followers to understand that because of sin, God has lost His special people. He couldn't talk to them they way He wanted to. He couldn't love them the way He wanted to. Most importantly, He couldn't live with them the way He wanted to. They were lost! Jesus also wanted the people to understand how much God wanted to FIND His people and what lengths He would go to rescue them and get them back.
READ the Parable of The Lost Sheep, the Parable of the Lost Son, and/or the Parable of the Lost Coin.
Connect the Story back to God and his character. Explain how this story fits into God's overall story.