Jesus is Tempted in the Wilderness by Jennifer Tolbert
This is the story of how Jesus was tempted in the wilderness.
1. Jesus was the Son of God.
2. We can recognize when we are being tempted.
3. We need to know God's Word to guide us when we are tempted.
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:7-8
Books of the New Testament
Shake the Devil Off
1, 2, 3 the Devil's After Me
If You Love Jesus
My God is So Big
This Little Light of Mine
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Tug of War: Divide the class into two groups and play a simple game of tug of war. Discuss how this is like temptation. When our hearts are battling between what God wants us to do and what the devil wants us to do. (Source: MissionBibleClass.org)
2. Doing Hard Things Challenge (Source: Truewaykids.org) Remind your child how Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness without any food. Have a competition tosee how long they can do a difficult thing. For example:
Story: Do you know what it means to fast? (not to eat for a certain amount of time) What is longest you can go without eating? A morning? Maybe one day?
After Jesus was baptized, he went into the wilderness to be alone with God. During this time he fasted, which means he did not eat, for 40 days! That means Jesus did not eat for more than a month!
How do you think Jesus was feeling?
During this time, the devil came to tempt Jesus. He knew God had a new and important plan and wanted to mess it up just like he had ruined God's plan in the Garden with Adam and Eve.
READ Matthew: 4:1-11 in your Bible or tell the children about the Temptation of Jesus. -
1. Where did the devil find Jesus?
2. What was the devil trying to get Jesus to do?
3. What are some of the things the devil tempted Jesus with?
4. How did Jesus answer the devil each time?
Connect the story back to God and his character. Explain how this story fits into God's overall story.
1. God's Word is a Treasure Box
Supplies: Treasure boxes (oriental trading) OR Template, God's Word coins from Oriental Trading OR cards with verses on it.
2. Secret Message Bible Verse Craft
Supplies: Jumbo Popsicle Sticks, Masking Tape, Scotch Tape, Markers