David And Jonathan (Presentation (16:9)) by Jennifer Tolbert
This is the story of David and Jonathan's friendship. Jonathan demonstrates the character traits of loyalty, kindness and humility.
1. Jonathan submitted to God's will, even though it meant giving up the throne.
2. Humility means putting others ahead of ourselves.
3. Jonathan stood up for what was right, and protected his friend.
"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." I Samuel 16:7
Old Testament Books
Jesus is My Best Friend
He's The King
Lord, My Desire
There Is A Flag
Only a Little Boy David
Three Kings of Israel
Begin Class with Songs, Games, Table Activity, or Sharing Time
Open Class in Prayer
Introducing the Story Ideas
1. Brainstorm: Ask the kids to help you brainstorm character traits you look for in a friend. Ideas: Loyalty, Kindness, Fun, etc.
2. Sin Take Over: Prepare a clear bowl of water. Slowly place a drop of food coloring in the water. Allow the kids to watch as the drop of food coloring slowly colors all the water. Continue to slowly add drops until the bowl is changed to a different color. Discuss how small sins can slowly grow and take over our lives. Use some bleach to make the water clear again.
Story: We have been talking about Saul and how his actions did not please God. Today we are going to discuss how he allowed the sin of jealousy to cause him to try to kill David. His son Jonathan showed himself to be a true friend by rescuing David from the hand of his father, even though it meant giving up the throne.
READ I Samuel 18:1-20; 42 in your Bible or tell the story of how Jonathan rescued David from the hand of Saul.
Connect the idea that God is a true friend to us, just like Jonathan was a true friend to David. Challenge the kids to come up with a God is statement based on this lesson. For example, God is my best friend, God is loyal, God will protect me...
Pick a bracelet craft kit or pattern that is age appropriate for you class.
Arrows and Arrow Bag Craft Printable by Ministry Ark
You will also need: scissors, glue, tape, markers or crayons and popsicle sticks
Find a Friend Game
References and Resources